Redlands is a city in San Bernardino County, California, USA. Incorporated in 1888, by 2019, the city of Redlands had 71,513 inhabitants. Redlands is located in a valley in the hills of the San Bernardino Mountains in the Los Angeles metropolitan area of southern California. Redlands in English means "red-lands" in Spanish.
Redlands City Council
Location in San Bernardino County and California State
California U.S. location
|Coordinates||34°03′17″N 117°10′57″W / 34.0547222222222, -117.1825 Coordinates: 34°03′17″N 117°10′57″W / 34.0547222222222, -117.1825|
|・ Country||United States|
|・ County||San Bernardino|
|Foundation||December 3, 1888|
|・ Total||97.01 km²|
|・ Land||96.98 km²|
|・ Water||0.03 km²|
|・ Average||414 m s n. m.|
|・ Total||68,747 rooms.|
|・ Density||675.78 hab/km²|
|Time zone||Pacific: UTC-8/-7|
The city is located east of the San Bernardino Valley. Some of the main geographical features of the city include the Santa Ana River on the northern border of the city with the Sierra de San Bernardino, the Crafton Hills to the east; the towns of Loma Linda and San Bernardino in the west and Canyon and arroyo San Timoteo on the southern border of the city, separated by Riverside County. Redlands is 110 km from Los Angeles, Ca.
Interstate 10 acts as a geographical division between southern Redlands and the old Lugonia town in the north, now simply called "North Redlands". It crosses directly through the city center, replacing route 99 in the 1950s. Interstate 210 is the main east-west divisor, its east terminal at Interstate 10.
Redlands was originally part of the territory of the Cahuilla Serranos (Sierra), Morongo and Aguas Calientes tribes. Spanish explorers such as Pedro Fages and Francisco Garcés sought to extend the Catholic influence to indigenous peoples and the dominance of the Spanish crown in the 1770s. The serrano town of Guachama, located just west of Redlands, was visited by friar Francisco Dumetz in 1810. Dumetz arrived in the town on May 20, the day from the feast of San Bernardino de Siena, and so the region was named the Valley of San Bernardino. The Franciscan friars of the San Gabriel Archangel Mission established the San Bernardino Assistance in 1819 in Redlands to cultivate and promote permanent settlements. In 1820, a 12-kilometer (8-mile) ditch, known as "sankey" in English, was excavated by native forced labor for the friars from Mill Creek, in the Sierra, to Assistance. In 1821, the news of Mexico's victory in the Mexican War of Independence came to the territory of Alta California, and the lands previously claimed by Spain were taken into the custody of the Mexican government.
In 1842, a family of Californians by the surname Lugo bought the lands of Rancho San Bernardino. The northwestern area of Redlands, on the banks of the Santa Ana River, would be known as the town of Lugonia. The American Intervention in Mexico, 27 years later, was annexed Alta California to the United States (1948), in the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. In 1850, the current state of California would be formed.
In 1851, the area received its first Anglo inhabitants in the form of hundreds of Mormon pioneers, who bought land from Rancho San Bernardino, and established a prosperous agricultural community irrigated by the numerous streams of the hills of San Bernardino. The Mormona community then left in 1857, called by Brigham Young, to Utah during the tensions with the American federal government in that state.
The first settler in which Redlands is today, in 1865, erected a palapa at the corner of what is now Cajon Street and Cypress Avenue. A shepherd of sheep. Lugonia village attracted more pioneers, including Barry Roberts in 1869, followed a year later by the Craw and Glover families. "The first schoolteacher in Lugonia, George W. Beattie, came in 1874, followed shortly after by the first African-American settler in the city, Israel Beal.
In the 1880s, the arrival of the railways. With its warm and dry climate and easy access to water, it is an ideal center for citrus production. The city of Redlands was soon established by Frank E. Brown, a civil engineer, and E. G. Judson of New York. They called their city "Redlands," the red lands, for the color of adobe. The area had grown so much in 1888 that it was decided to incorporate as a city. The villages and ranches of Redlands, Lugonia, Terreccina, and Mentone were annexed at this time to create the boundaries of the current city.
The Pacific Electric Railway completed an interurban connection between Los Angeles and San Bernardino in 1914, providing a convenient and fast connection to the city of Los Angeles and its new port in San Pedro, bringing greater prosperity to the city as a vacation destination for the rich angelines. Pacific Electric's intercity service to Redlands was abandoned on July 20, 1936. The train returned to Redlands by the "Arrow" project, a light rail operated by Metrolink in 2022.
The city has been visited by three presidents: William McKinley was the first in 1901, followed by Theodore Roosevelt in 1903 and William Howard Taft in 1909. Local landmarks include A.K. Smiley Public Library, a Moorish-style library built in 1898, and the Redlands Bowl, built in 1930 and home to the oldest continuously free outdoor concert series in the United States. Located behind the Smiley Library is Lincoln Shrine, the only monument in honor of sixteenth President Abraham Lincoln, west of the Mississippi River. Famous houses include Morey Mansion and Kimberly Crest House and Gardens. The name of the family that bought the house, the owners of Kimberly-Clark (paper manufacturers and Kleenex), is a beautiful mansion located on a hill overlooking the whole valley. Redlands is still considered the "jewel of the Inland Empire."
The Redlands Bicycle Classic is a cycling, male and female race, which is disputed in Redlands and its surroundings at the end of March. Created in 1985.
The University of Redlands is located in the northern area of Redlands. Founded in 1911.
Redlands School District, there are 16 primary schools, five high schools and four High Schools.
- Redlands High School (1891)
- Redlands Citrus Valley High School (2008)
- Redlands East Valley High School (1997)
- Orangewood Continuation High School
- Footballer Landon Donovan, raised in Redlands.
- ESRI founder Jack Dangermond lives and established his company in Redlands.
- Current Congressman of the federal CA-41 district is from Redlands, Pete Aguilar.
Redlans has two sister cities:
- Hino, Japan
- San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
- Redlands Temple
- ↑ Zip Data Maps, ZIP Code No. 92373.